Vehicles are permitted to access beaches:
Note: two-wheeled motorbikes are banned from all beach areas.
Any vehicle brought onto the beach must:
- access the beach via an authorised vehicle accessway (as long as 10km/h isn't exceeded on these accessways)
- not be parked in a way that blocks access for other beach users
- be driven in a safe and careful manner (no more than 20km/h, in permitted beach driving areas ONLY)
- not be repeatedly driven back and forth over the same stretch of wet sand (as this can damage shellfish beds)
- not be driven onto dune areas as they are fragile and contain breeding birds and erosion control plants.
Vehicles may drive along the beach only in the following areas:
- the foreshore between the official beach access point at Olliver Grove, North Waikanae to the official beach access point at the southern end of Rodney Avenue, Te Horo
- the formed shingle track through the reserve area adjacent to the foreshore between the northern bank of the Mangaone Stream, Te Horo Beach to the southern bank of the Ōtaki River mouth
- the formed shingle track adjacent to the foreshore between the northern bank of the Ōtaki River mouth to the official beach access point opposite 100 Marine Parade, Ōtaki Beach
- the foreshore between the official beach access point opposite 8 Marine Parade, Ōtaki Beach to the northern limit of the District (note: the Waitohu Reserve area is outside the limits of the foreshore and is off limits to all vehicles).
Accessways and driving zones on the beach foreshore